News & Events

Show Advanced Search
Total Items: 

Toals Steel & Sons Cup Final, Christmas Morning 2013

 Steel & Sons Cup Final sponsored by Toals Bookmakers


Words & Photo Courtesy of The News Letter

A magnificent hat-trick from Carl McComb gave Dundela the Steel & Sons Cup, as they put Amateur League outfit Immaculata to the sword at Seaview on Christmas morning.

The Duns won 4-1, with McComb scoring twice in the first half. Immaculata threatened to start a comeback in the second half when the pulled a goal back in the 55th minute, but goals from Daniel Burns and Glentoran loan star McComb, gave the Duns their 10th Steel & Sons Cup victory.

The hat-trick strike was a major milestone in the career of 21 year old McComb. The youngster played in last years final for Glentoran Seconds before moving to the Duns on a loan deal at the end of August.

Carl McComb opened the scoring in the 11th minute, when he collected the ball from Daniel Burns, before drilling the into the bottom corner from just outside the penalty box. The Glentoran loanee gave Gerard Smith no chance with his powerful drive that rocketed into the net.

McComb almost scored another three minutes later, when he got onto the end of a Michael Halliday knock down, but the young striker turned the ball against the foot of the post.

Halliday had a chance of his own on the 15th minute, when he turned a Gary Irwin corner towards goal, but Smith pushed the ball clear.

Dundela continued their dominance, with midfield star Kyle Cherry trying his luck from 25 yards, but Smith held onto his low drive.

Immaculata had their first genuine chance of the game in the 24th minute, when John Boyce feed in Ciaran Murphy, before Steven McKay saved Murphy’s penalty box effort.

It was no surprise when McComb added a second in the 26th minute. Gary Irwin crossed from the right flank, which McComb flicked into the back of the net from 10 yards.

In the 27th minute, Boyce feed in Tony Heagney but like Murphy, he was thwarted by McKay. Colm O’Riordan also saw his shot 35th minute effort smoother by the former Ards Rangers goalkeeper.

A revitalised Immaculata returned for the second with renewed purpose, determined to find a way back into the game.

They almost pulled a goal back in the 48th minute when Gary Dorrian’s long range shot was tipped past the post by McKay.

The crucial goal did arrive ten minutes into the half, when Ciaran Murphy’s overhead kick, somehow found it’s way into the net. The Mac striker’s acrobatic effort from a corner kick was blocked by McKay, before bouncing off Ross Davison and rebounded in the back of the net, for what looked like an unfortunate own goal.

The Duns struck back immediately, adding a third goal within a minute of Immaculata’s goal. Daniel Burns collected the ball inside the area, after some fine build up play, before slotting the ball into the back of the net, killing the game as contest.

Carl McComb’s hat-trick arrived in the 76th minute, when he stroked a penalty kick past Smith. Right-winger Gary Irwin won the spot kick when he was brought down by Sean McGovern, leaving referee Peter McGrath with no choice but to point to the spot.

Dundela : McKay, Collins (74 McCullough), Owens, Ferguson, Davison, Irwin (84 Gourley), McCain, Cherry (62 Beggs), Burns, Halliday, McComb

Subs : Jackson, Gilliland


Immaculata : Smith, D. Largey, G. Largey (56 Haughey), S. McGovern, Fisher, Heagney (84 Adams), Dorrian (61 McDonnell), O’Riordan, B. McGovern, Murray, Boyce

Subs : Prigent, Begley


Match Officials : Peter McGrath, Stephen Donaldson & Kristian Hanna, Mark McCurdy


Words & Photo Courtesy of The News Letter


County Antrim FA in Association with

County Antrim and District Football Association
County Antrim and District Football Association